Fraud and other scams can be mitigated when following the below best practices.
Privacy & Security
- Limit the personal information you share online. Change privacy settings and do not use location features unless required by the app.
- Keep software applications and operating systems up to date.
- Use antivirus and anti-malware solutions.
- Protect yourself using a secure Internet connection and Wi-Fi network and change passwords regularly.
- Enable two factor authentication whenever possible.
- Create strong passwords by using upper- and lower-case letters, numbers, and special characters. Use a password manager to store credentials.
- Change passwords regularly and don’t share PINs or passwords.
- Always protect your phone with either a password or biometrics lock.
Monitor & Protect
- Watch for suspicious activity that asks you to do something right away, offers something that sounds too good to be true, or needs your personal information. When in doubt, do NOT click.
- Check your account statements and credit reports regularly.
- Back up your files regularly in an encrypted file or encrypted file storage device.
- Do not click on links in texts or emails from people you don’t know. Scammers can create fake links to websites.
- Only use trusted, regulated app stores when downloading new tools.
If you would like to learn more, the following federal government websites offer additional information.
Federal Trade Commission - https://www.ftc.gov/
Department of Homeland Security - https://www.ready.gov/cybersecurity
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center - https://www.ic3.gov/